Episode 8 show notes:
Emily visited Flagstaff and tried her hand at forest bathing.
Forest Bathing is Good for Life and Career from Huffington Post
Forest Bathing: How Microdosing on Nature Can Help With Stress from The Atlantic
Nostalgia alert…John Mayer is on tour!
Destination Mini-Spotlight Rapidfire: Megan’s trip to Chicago in May 2017 to run the Chicago Spring Half Marathon.
Find out more on her blog recap of the long weekend.
LGBTQ travel and our discussion with friend of the pod, Suzi Hitchcock:
The website 76 Crimes raises awareness of 76 countries that have anti-gay laws.
Suzi and Sheila are staying in gay-friendly DuPont Circle in Washington, D.C.
Gay Days Anaheim/Disneyland is October 6-8, 2017.
The next Dinah Shore weekend, a getaway and music festival geared toward lesbians, in Palm Springs, California is March 28-April 1, 2018.
Some things to consider or research:
- What’s the LGBT rights situation of the destination?
- Should I hide my sexuality? What is the safety situation like for openly LGBT travelers?
- What organizations are there for my safety? What is the attitude of the police?
- What LGBT resources are there (websites, newspapers, etc.)?
- Where is the LGBT scene?
- If I’m traveling with a partner, do we need to worry about booking one bed or two, or being more than friends in public?
LGBTI travel information from the U.S. Department of State
How Gay Travel is Different and Why it Matters from Nomadic Matt
Traveling While Gay – What You Should Know from Huffington Post
Books we’re reading:
The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende
And our next book club pick, All Over the Place: Adventures in Travel, True Love, and Petty Theft by Geraldine DeRuiter
Book Bonanza is in Denver in July 2018, but it’s sold out 🙁
We’d love to hear some other perspectives of traveling as a member of the LGBTQ community. What has been your experience? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on social media to see updates from our travels: